These resources are available to staff working for Sussex Community NHS Foundation Trust. Register for an OpenAthens account to make the most of the healthcare resources.
Look under Evidence for research reviews, evidence-based guidelines, validated research articles and research-based clinical options.
Literature contains indexes of published information from journals, conference abstracts, reports and academic theses. Critically appraise results to exclude poorly conducted clinical trials, reports and articles and locate relevant, valid information.
The ‘NHS Knowledge and Library Hub’ connects NHS staff and learners to high quality knowledge and evidence resources in one place.
Funded by Health Education England, it includes:
- Journals, books and databases
- Clinical decision support resources including NICE Guidelines and BMJ Best Practice
- Resources purchased nationally and locally
- One-click links to full-text, request a copy or contact an NHS library
For details of one-to-one and group training in the workplace, expert evidence searching and critical appraisal, please contact Karen Skinner the Outreach Librarian.
Anatomy TV: Interactive 3D resource bank of images, video clips and slides. Choose Clinical Specialties for Speech Language Pathology. Access via OpenAthens, a free personal profile will need to be created. This resource has limited access, please remember to log off when finished *
BMJ Best Practice: Clinical decision support tool, structured around patient consultation, advice on symptom evaluation, tests and treatment approach. Access thousands of clinical topics and 6000+ clinical guidelines. Create a personal account and download the app.
ClinicalKey: Provides access to a large collection of reference material, books, journals, images and videos. OpenAthens
- Young JL & Rund DA. Mood disorders. In Marx JA et al… Rosen’s emergency medicine. 8th ed. 2014
- Knopman DS. Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias. In Goldman L & Schafer AI. Goldman’s Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. 2012
ClinicalSkills: This resource lists more than 160 clinical skills procedures for adults and children, regularly updated and in a user-friendly illustrated format. OpenAthens
Cochrane Library: Reliable evidence on the effectiveness of healthcare interventions and treatments
NICE Evidence: Free, open access to a range of selected and authoritative health and social care evidence-based information
NICE Pathways: Free interactive tool giving quick and easy access to NICE guidance
Royal Marsden Online: The 9th edition of the Royal Marsden Hospital Manual of Clinical Procedures includes 350+ evidence-based clinical procedures related to every aspect of care. There is a short Online Help Tutorial and a comprehensive Help section.
Social Care Online: A database of information on social work and social care, it includes legislation, government documents, practice and guidance, systematic reviews and research briefings
Trip: A clinical search engine providing quick and easy access to high quality research evidence. Filter by evidence type, images, date
The ‘NHS Knowledge and Library Hub’ links to journal citations, abstracts and some full-text articles. These require OpenAthens
- BNI: The British Nursing Index contains comprehensive coverage of all nursing and midwifery titles in the UK in addition to a number of International titles
- CINAHL: Nursing and allied health care literature from Europe and North America
- EMBASE: European database of biomedical and pharmacological literature
- EMCARE: Nursing and allied health literature
- HMIC: UK focused data and records from the Department of Health and the King’s Fund on health service policy, the quality of health services, management and administration
- Medline: Clinical, medical and nursing literature
- PsychINFO: Psychology, psychiatry and related disciplines
PubMed: Extensive index of medical, biomedical and nursing resources. Some full-text articles are free access
Anatomy TV: Interactive 3D resource bank of images, video clips and slides. Choose Clinical Specialties for Speech Language Pathology. This resource has limited access, please remember to log off when finished. OpenAthens
ClinicalKey: Provides access to a large collection of reference material, books, journals, images and videos OpenAthens
Clinical Skills: This resource lists more than 160 clinical skills procedures for adults and children, regularly updated and in a user-friendly illustrated format. Please contact the Trust Education and Training Department
Behind the Headlines: Find the facts behind the newspaper headlines concerning health news
BNF Publications: The BNF APP is available to download
NHS choices: Information from the National Health Service on conditions, treatments, local services and healthy living.
Patient: The same information as provided by GPs to patients during consultations, health/disease leaflets,patient support organisations, all about medicines