Key resources for all staff working in Psychiatry and Mental Health. Find further information in the Online Library and other Specialty pages. Register for an OpenAthens account to make the most of the healthcare resources.
Look under Evidence for research reviews, evidence-based guidelines, validated research articles and research-based clinical options.
Literature contains indexes of published information from journals, conference abstracts, reports and academic theses. Critically appraise results to exclude poorly conducted clinical trials, reports and articles and to locate relevant, valid information.
The ‘NHS Knowledge and Library Hub’ connects NHS staff and learners to high quality knowledge and evidence resources in one place.
Funded by Health Education England, it includes:
- Journals, books and databases
- Clinical decision support resources including NICE Guidelines and BMJ Best Practice
- Resources purchased nationally and locally
- One-click links to full-text, request a copy or contact an NHS library
Contact Susan or Alison to discuss evidence searches, e-resources, book stock, and critical appraisal. We attend local faculty group meetings and journal clubs.
[icon-box title=”Find a Book” link=”url:https%3A%2F%2Fkss.koha-ptfs.co.uk%2F|title:Book%20Request|target:_blank” icon=”book” size=”40″ color=”color” icon_color=”#f16722″]
All require OpenAthens unless otherwise indicated
BMJ Case Reports: Collection of cases to locate information on common and rare conditions
ClinicalKey: Provides access to a large collection of reference material, books, journals, images and videos*
- Bradley’s Neurology in Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Daroff RB. 2016
- Kaufman’s Clinical Neurology for Psychiatrists. 7th ed. 2013
- Psychology and Geriatrics. Bensadon BA. 2015
- Sim’s Symptoms in the Mind: Textbook of Descriptive Psychopathology. 5th ed. Oyebode F. 2015
Clinical Knowledge Summaries: summaries of the current evidence base and practical guidance on best evidence
Cochrane Library: Reliable evidence on the effectiveness of healthcare interventions and treatments
DynaMed: high quality evidence-based information, user-friendly, personalized experience to deliver accurate answers fast at the point of care
Trip: A clinical search engine providing quick and easy access to high quality research evidence. Filter by evidence type, images, date
(*Not available to all organisations)
The ‘NHS Knowledge and Library Hub’ links to journal citations, abstracts and some full-text articles.
- AMED: The Allied and Complementary Medicine database covers allied health professions and alternative medicine including acupuncture, herbalism, homeopathy and physiotherapy
- BNI: The British Nursing Index contains comprehensive coverage of all nursing and midwifery titles in the UK in addition to a number of International titles
- CINAHL: Nursing and allied health care literature from Europe and North America
- EMBASE: European database of biomedical and pharmacological literature
- EMCARE: Nursing and allied health literature
- HMIC: Health management information. Useful for policy and commissioning information.
- Medline: Clinical, medical and nursing literature
- PsychINFO: Psychology, psychiatry and related disciplines
PubMed: Extensive index of medical, biomedical and nursing resources. Some full-text articles are free access
BMJ OnExamination: an online revision resource to assist doctors in preparation for membership exams. Questions and explanatory answers on current and typical themes. Modules include: DCH, DRCOG, First FRCR Physics, GP ST Stage 2 Knowledge Test, MRCS Part A papers 1 & 2, MRCGP, MRCOG Parts 1 & 2, MRCP Parts 1 & 2, MRPCH Foundation in Practice; Foundation in Practice, Theory, Science & Practice; Part 2; Theory, Science & Practice, Child Health, General Medicine and Psychiatry. Please contact the Library for details.*
(*Not available to all organisations)
Autism Data: the National Autistic Society’s database of 17,000+ journal articles, papers, books and multimedia on autism
Behind the Headlines: Find the facts behind the newspaper headlines concerning health news
BNF Publications: The BNF APP is available to download
Centre for Evidence Based Mental Health: (CEBMH) Promoting and supporting the teaching of evidence-based mental healthcare.
DS Daily: a news service on drug and alcohol misuse, designed by health professionals who work with people with substance abuse problems
NHS choices: Information from the National Health Service on conditions, treatments, local services and healthy living.
Patient: The same information as provided by GPs to patients during consultations, health/disease leaflets, patient support organisations, all about medicines